Sunday, July 25, 2010

Seeing the Forest...

Sometimes, I just can't see the forest for the trees.

See, one of my most popular items is the Initial Charm Necklace. Simple and straight forward, a single initial on a small disc. But, I have a confession: I have always felt a little luke-warm about this piece, as it is not one of my most original designs. In fact I have seen similar necklaces before, and this was my version of a classic, originally made by request for my sister-in-law.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when a customer requested an initial charm necklace with a twist. She had seen some of my wire writing pieces, and wanted her kids' initials done that same way. Here's the part where I whacked my forehead with the heel of my palm. doh!

The idea was right in front of me all along—my best selling necklace, only made with a touch that was mine all mine—the wire writing. (Of course, ALL credit here goes to this particular customer, who made me see the obvious. Thanks, Laurie!)

Did I just recently say that custom orders made me nervous? I might be reconsidering that sentiment, as I begin to recognize all the ways in which clients contribute to my body of work.

19 comments:

  1. I think the creative process is never a solo process. Inspiration comes from everywhere. Thanks to your customer you came up with a very unique necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story about your creative process! It's so fun when inspiration comes from an unexpected direction, isn't it? I'll also agree with Francesca in that both isolation and connection seem to be important parts of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! I love how inspiration comes to us! What an innovative and beautiful combination of your disc and writing-such beautiful and unique jewelry. It's so you! Congratulations to you and your client!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the pieces look a bit rustic with girly girl writing. Reminds me of cowboy branding but also learning to write cursive. Perfect for urban cowgirls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I love those forehead hitting moments. My studio mate and I have many of them. I think that sometimes we have to wade through the basic for a while to to get to the brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had moments exactly like that.

    Those are really cute, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh that is beautiful! Thanks to your customer for putting that connection right infront of your face! Gotta love that.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love solo work yet there certainly is such inspiration through collaborative thoughts... Your work is gorgeous as always, I love that you are always mindful of making things 'your own' xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a inpiring story behind your process! It's really wonderful when inspiration comes from unexpected places. I truely adore your wire writing pieces and these charm necklaces are gorgeous! I too love custom orders and they challenge my creativity! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant end result -it's always hardest to see what is right under our noses, I think I might go and think that one over! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you just love those aha moments?! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Amy!!! They look amazing with the wire letters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh! i love it. and don't you love it when all the elements come together? so...elemental. i think i'm going to need an "a" one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the wire-written initials...perfect!

    Nowadays, when I need to write a description of my business, I use the word "collaboration," and not just because what I make is usually turned into something new by the customer, but also because customer suggestions often lead me in new directions...custom orders certainly have been headaches at times, but I think the good often outweighs the stresses. I say this after having dyed about a billion pounds of wool trying to get one order right for a customer, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy! love these..I'm not surprised they did so well!!

    xoxo
    Girl from LIT =)


    Miss Neira

    ReplyDelete
  16. elemental, my dear amy! these look unmistakably yours now - i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So great when someone points out something and the bell goes off. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, that's fabulous and so you! I love it, and I love that a customer had a hand in it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know, I was going to email and ask if you could do a charm necklace with the wire script, too! Lovely!
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete