Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fostering Love

Last fall, my sister and her husband decided to become foster parents. After a long application process, I am happy to tell you they've been approved! This is so exciting—for them, and our whole family. More kids to have fun with, more kids to make things for, and more kids to love.

They have agreed to take up to three children, so that siblings may stay together (isn't the thought of siblings being split up heartbreaking?). Two bedrooms in their home have been reworked to fit beds, dressers and lots of toys. My crochet hooks are at the ready...just waiting for some news, so I know who I am making for and what to make.

But I have to admit that all this anticipation is met with a bit of hesitation, too, as my sister and brother-in-law begin a journey into parenthood that could be, at times, heartbreaking and unfair. We hope for the best and offer our full support.

Lately, different aspects of my life have had a way of weaving themselves together in interesting ways. A friend of mine contacted me to see if I'd be interested in being a vendor at a fund raising event for, what else?...foster care! The artisan show will benefit the Friends of Foster Care, an organization that provides assistance to foster children and their families. How could I say no?

If you're in the Boston area, come shop for a good cause!
The Spring Fling shopping event
is this Thursday, April 8th. Over 30 local vendors and artisans will be selling their goods. The event takes place at the Neighborhood Club (27 Glendale Road, Quincy,MA) from 7 - 10 PM.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your sister and her husband. And to you too! What big hearts they have to open there home to foster children. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Amy, warmest wishes to your family! My parents opened our home to many foster children while my siblings and I were growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a heartwarming post and congratz to your family! Best of luck and warm wishes to your sister and her husband. Have a lovely merry happy week and love to yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is so exciting and wonderful that they are accepting three young people into their hearts. It is heartbreaking to think about siblings being separated. It's just hard all around. The children will be so lucky to come into your family. Congrats to your sister!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have such admiration for people who adopt older children or take on foster children. it takes a special parent to do that. what lucky children they will be who are placed with your sister and her husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is beautiful and I wish them luck - parenting in whatever form, is such a journey . . .

    I also love your image at the top of your blog!! Want to do one myself now. Unfortunately I'm not in the Boston area otherwise I would definitely have come!

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing journey they are starting - and you along with them! Congratulations and best wishes to them, sounds like they have lots of support and love to support them on the way! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great story. lots of learning and loving to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's wonderful to read this, just as i was getting overwhelmed by preparing for being a vendor at this show tomorrow night. it really put it all in perspective. i am happy for this growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire and respect your sister and husband for offering this much-needed love to kids. I wish them all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is so wonderful. i have several friends who have or are foster parents and i truly admire them as they wade through all of the appointments, milestones, and love. good luck for them and your family. and i wish i lived a bit closer to boston or i would totally come to meet you:) good luck at the fair and i hope it is wonderfully successful. thank you for you wishes over at my bloggy blog. everyone is too sweet here in this wacky cyber world:) love, pennie

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many things happening for you just now it seems, and just as spring breaks with all the events outdoors too, as life returns!

    Congratulations to your sister and her family as well as to you and yours for receiving three siblings into your life, and all in one go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your sister and family. My husband and I have often spoken about how those that choose to take in children, especially through foster care and older adoption, have to just be angels themselves. I hope there journey is a great one

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's wonderful. From a teacher's perspective - I have had many foster children. I can tell you that generally, what those kids want most is love, and someone to pay attention to them...

    ReplyDelete